As an Events and Programs Director, you’ll make your mark on the next part of our already successful journey.
Since pioneering the cleantech and sustainable innovation in the 2000s, we’re now in an accelerated growth phase. As the 2020s develop, propelled by the tailwinds of the innovation economy, the climate crisis and wider commitments to net zero, the opportunities in sustainability have never been greater.
Director of Events and Programs will:
- Lead this line of business with the support of a dedicated team. You’ll be accountable for all aspects of the events’ strategy, financials and the content, products and customer experiences.
- Take responsibility for planning and organizing meaningful, enjoyable and smoothly-run events and other engagement programs that bring together the ecosystem to exchange insights, network, and seed future deals accelerating progress toward our net-zero goals.
- Be a self-starter, and truly passionate about the opportunity and our mission to catalyze innovation-led business opportunities leading to a better, net zero, world.
- Report to the CEO and be a part of our global leadership team
Our calendar of online and in-person international events and programs are designed for innovation companies, investors, large industrial corporations, government organizations, and others in the cleantech ecosystem engaged with sustainable innovation as a business and growth opportunity.
Our events program is anchored by Cleantech Forums, the world’s longest-running innovation events of their kind. Today there are three annual Cleantech Forums – one in California, one in Europe and one in Asia. We also run occasional, smaller more focused events, on behalf of sponsors.
APAC 25, 50 to Watch and the Global Cleantech 100 are the existing examples of award programs which have a strong inter-connection with our events. Sponsored programs are a part of this person’s mandate too. Delivery of these programs, just like the events, will require close interaction and co-ordination with Research and Marketing.
Our events and programs are recognized leaders, with a track record spanning two decades. The director’s responsibility is to keep evolving and innovating to continue growing them in their third decade.
Responsibilities of the Director of Events and Programs
You’ll set the strategic direction and grow this seven-figure business line by aligning to overall company goals and ensuring our events and programs keep evolving to be future-fit. This will involve:
- Continually improving the experiences of our participants, and the efficiency, effectiveness and profitability of our events and programs portfolio.
- Driving change through adding, reassessing or eliminating aspects of the portfolio.
You’ll be chief editor and architect of the content for events and programs, drawing on our own content resources and research, as well as the best of third parties. You’ll:
- Plug into what is top of mind for this community and what they value about our events and our programs.
- Set themes and decide topics to include for an event or award-related report.
- Collaborate across the company, conducting an orchestra that includes our research analysts and consultants on agenda development, sales and client services on delivering to sponsors and rallying our clients and wider contacts; and marketing on communications and promotion.
- Build, oversee and manage a small team that ensures that the production of all our international events, large and small, and related awards programs run smoothly and are professional in their execution from both an internal and external point of view, and in line with company goals, capabilities and financial goals/budgets.
Capabilities of the Director of Events and Programs
- Experience in a similar role, where you have demonstrated success in growing a premium international b2b events business.
- Experience in working with thought leaders to develop content formats that inspire and provide impactful tailored networking experiences
- Organized, fast-working but detail-orientated, with a passion to go the extra yards needed to provide great experiences for our clients.
- An excellent collaborator, easy for the team to work with, as well as being a self-sufficient, self-starter who takes the initiative to problem solve and get things done.
- An all-rounder, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, a calm demeanour under pressure, and enough presence and leadership skills to command the respect of, and to have effective working relationships with the many different people x-company who are part of delivering our events and programs, as well as external vendors and stakeholders (e.g. sponsors, speakers)
- Demonstrable interest in innovation, climate change, and clean technology/sustainability is essential; experience in these areas and with these subjects will be preferred.
- High proficiency with standard/typical work packages like MS Office 365 and TEAMS; familiarity with events-related systems (like registration) and with CRMs (e.g. Salesforce) would be highly beneficial.
- Some international travel required.
- Fluent English required. Languages other than English are always a bonus in our very international business.
The compensation package (base salary plus performance related pay, based on individual and company performance) will be commensurate with experience. All oaur employees are entitled to a standard set of benefits, including health and dental insurance and employee contributions to pension/retirement plans. These vary a bit, depending on location.
We have a preference that the Director of Events and Programs position be based in North America, to maintain geographic balance of representation in our global leadership team. Though a location elsewhere is not out of the question. Long before the pandemic, we operated in quite a distributed manner, with flexible and remote working a strong feature of our modus operandi. That has only increased of late. There is a concentration of US team members around San Francisco and Boston, and a concentration of European team members in London and Paris. Equally there are remote employees in North America (e.g. Michigan, New York, Ontario, Tennessee and Washington DC) and continental Europe (e.g. Belgium, Italy and Spain). Asian presence will be next.
There are benefits to more team members being in and around locations with multiple colleagues. Such locations which achieve that are preferred, though not essential
Most important in the end will be the person, their ability and motivation to help us grow, and their fit with our team and culture.
At Cleantech Group, we provide research, consulting and events to catalyze opportunities for sustainable growth powered by innovation. We bring clients access to the trends, companies and people shaping the future and the customized advice and support businesses need to engage external innovation.
Send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: This position will remain open until we have found the right fit and have filled the position. We expect to close application by May or June 2022.
Cleantech Group is committed to diversity in its workforce. Cleantech Group is an equal opportunity employer and ensures the promotion of equal opportunity for all persons employed or seeking employment, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability status.