Noteworthy Early-Stage Innovators Take Action on the Climate Crisis
San Francisco, CA – 6 October 2022 — Cleantech Group has just released the Cleantech 50 to Watch, an annual list of top global early-stage private companies showcased for their excellence in sustainable innovation. The entrepreneurs on the list are creating new technologies that are poised to address the climate crisis in plastics, regenerating soils, recycling building materials, automating food waste and transforming solar power.
To create the list, inputs are combined from the Cleantech 50 to Watch expert panel of 31 leading investors, corporate and industrial executives who are active in technology and innovation scouting.
The panel nominated the companies that most impressed them with their early-stage high-impact solutions. We combined that with our own nominations and research on public early-stage awards and put the companies through qualitative and impact filters. A shortlist of 150 companies was reviewed and scored by the expert panel to reach the final 50.
Our annual Cleantech 50 to Watch will introduce you to innovative companies with the dedication, technologies and business models that make it possible to fight the climate crisis and make a fair profit. Deployed at scale, their solutions could make the changes to put us back on a climate positive path.
The Cleantech 50 to Watch companies are located in 19 countries. These innovators are delivering sustainable solutions in these six sectors:
- Agriculture & Food: Technologies and services that make the production of food more efficient and effective.
- Energy & Power: Technologies, services and business models that accelerate the transition to renewable energy and optimize existing processes.
- Materials & Chemicals: Innovations which enable the efficient production of basic materials such as steel, cement, and chemicals, or advanced materials used in other cleantech sectors.
- Resources & Environment: Technologies and services to protect and restore natural environments, sustainable source materials, prevent waste, improve the circularity of materials, adapt to climate change, and assess corporate environmental impact, carbon and offset markets.
- Transportation & Logistics: Vehicles, technologies and services that move people and goods with zero or low emissions, or in a more resource-efficient way.
- Enabling Technologies: Technologies and solutions that enable efficiency and resource conservation across Agriculture & Food, Energy & Power, Materials & Chemicals, Resources & Environment, and Transportation & Logistics industry groups.
“These new, young, rising star companies with high impact solutions are poised to help combat the climate crisis,” said Richard Youngman, CEO, Cleantech Group. “These solutions should be inspiring our corporate and political leaders to ramp up their actions and close the wide gap between their net zero words and the actions needed to stimulate stronger demand for such innovation.”
In its fourth year, this highly anticipated annual report brings you the complete list of leading companies with case studies on a subset of the group. To download the Cleantech 50 to Watch complimentary report, click here.
These featured companies will be recognized at the upcoming Cleantech Forum Europe on November 8-10 in Brussels. Attendees will have the opportunity to connect with many of the companies on the list, along with many other rising stars.
About Cleantech Group
Cleantech® Group provides research, consulting and events to catalyze opportunities for sustainable growth powered by innovation. At every stage from initial strategy to final deals, we bring corporate change makers, investors, governments and stakeholders from across the ecosystem the access and customized support they need to thrive in a more digitized, de-carbonized and resource-efficient future.